Wednesday, April 9, 2014

If Every Member Was Like Him, Half the World Would Be Baptized!

   Conference Just Flew by for me this week. I couldn't believe it..... I remember as a kid, oh how GRUELING General Conference was; the only things keeping me going was a pack of red vines and a puzzle box. NOW! I cant get enough of it. I CRAVE doctrine, I HUNGER for the Words of the lord. I SEEK or every little nuance of each word and how it's structured in the sentence to figure out the mysteries of Godliness. I found the Saturday sessions themes where standing up for our faith and Obedience. I didn't quite catch a theme for Sunday's sessions though. I think My Favorite talk was by Elder Dallin H Oaks in Priesthood session, GOSH GOODNESS! Blew my socks of with doctrine, It was great! one of my favorite quotes would be "Danger lurks when we divide ourselves" and it made me wonder, how many people are dividing themselves. Who are "Sunday Saints"?  I want to be the same in the dark as I am in the light. I know the danger that lurks when we are divided. This is what the scriptures say when we are divided; Luke 11:17 "But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and a house divided against a house falleth" and so are we if we are divided.
For some reason, Our week was slower than usual but worked out great  because although we couldn't catch a lot of people, we had some really cool miracles this week. We have an investigator Brian. Brian has severe medical problems which is the main reason why he isn't baptized already. Because of his pain he cant go to Church and cancels over half of his appointments. So with this back drop, here comes the miracle. We had an appointment with Brian on Friday and 2 hours before we come by he calls and tries to cancel his appointment. We told him to rest and we would call him in an hour and see how he is doing.  After he hung up we sent out a text to all our members asking if the would pray for him and they did. We gave him a call an hour later and asked how he was doing. He told us that we was feel well enough to meet with us! It was a Miracle!  We then walked there and made a battle plan to get him baptized. 
I also want to share an experience I had Last week.
So the recent convert Keith that I taught drove and hour and a half to come out with us for a day. It was one of the coolest things on my mission to do. He is already a stud of a missionary. If every member was like him half the world would be baptized in 3 weeks. I got to take him out to a restaurant and got to sit down and talk about life. He is one of the greatest men I know. I'm so glad I got to be the one to introduce him to the Gospel. 
-Elder Herdt.